Monday, August 15, 2016

A Love for Latin













 Ancient languages fascinate me. Mayan, Latin, Hebrew, Sanskrit etc., they remind us of a time when language itself was pure and unadulterated as compared to our modern inferior tongues. Ancient Latin may not be the oldest in existence, but it is one that I believe stands out from the rest. Unlike its kin that are considered “dead languages”, Latin is in fact still relevant to contemporary culture and language. And let’s just say I have a bias and an affinity for Latin as well (or as my Italian university lecturer would pronounce it: “Lahh-tin”).

I have always had an inclination for learning foreign languages. Until today it intrigues me to understand the connection and relation Western languages have with Latin. Take a look at German, Italian, French, and Spanish etc. and you will find that many words, phrases, and idioms there all find a common origin in Latin vocabulary and grammar. Furthermore, Latin was the language of the early Romans, and in latter years became synonymous with the Catholic religion. Having spent the first 16 years of my life as a Roman Catholic, I suppose this also accounts for my disposition to it. And dare I say now that at least were Catholic mass is concerned, one ought to speak Latin with the proper pronunciation and accent. To me, I really see Latin as the language of God.  

Religion aside, another reason for my love for this language has to do with my early exposure to classical music (and when I say early I do mean early – my mother was listening to this when I was still in her womb). Many pieces of classical music were composed in Latin and I find it mentally stimulating and uplifting listening to a timeless piece of music with lyrics in this ancient tongue. Perhaps this is why I am consistently drawn to a genre of music known as “sacred music” – music performed for religious use or through religious influence. It is in this type of music where my love for Latin, my appreciation for classical music, and my early foundations as a Roman Catholic all culminate together so perfectly.

The truth is that Latin is a dying language, sad to say. It is only used in a niched sector of Catholicism or treated as an academic subject, and music isn’t composed in it anymore. As the mother of all Western languages, let us not forget where our linguistic roots come from. Languages can evolve and tongues can change, but to forget our origins is to be a house without a foundation.

In principio erat Verbum et verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God: and the Word was God”


Written by Dominic Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment