Friday, April 1, 2011

NARNIA: Compare and Contrast

One of the reasons why I chose to study in NZ is because all my favourite movies were filmed in this magical, fantastical land. One of them was 'The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'. I have grown up on that story since I was young and I have read the books countless times. The themes and morals in this story have been a major influence of who I am today.

When I saw my childhood story realised into a movie, I knew that I had found somewhere on this dismal earth where true magic and fantasy dwelled, apart from my mind. Filming the movies there gave the place a form of 'specialness' and made it sacred to me. My greatest desire then was to seek passage into these lands and experience first-hand the magic of Narnia.

Furthermore, not only did I want to cross the borders of this world into Narnia, but I too wanted proof of my entry into these places (for you know how minds nowadays have no room for fantasy and magic; only logic, rationality and a disbelief for the metaphysical). And so I made it a point to capture that moment in the story and relive it for myself by re-enacting that particular movie scence. Finding those sacred places did not prove to be easy (well...whoever said passages into the fantastical was easy; if it was then any and every muggle would pollute and destroy the magic). But after all the effort of finding the right place, the right angle, and the right position, I finally immortalised myself in the world of Narnia and earned my rightful place among the Blessed. Though it was a rare, fleeting moment of magic that I experienced, I shall never forget that eternal moment when I crossed the borders of this world into Narnia; when my world and the world of magic burnt as one in the heavens... ...





This is the view of the witch's army from Peter and Orieus' perspective. It must have been daunting and nerve-wrecking knowing that their enemy's army far outnumberered theirs. But as Orieus boldly stated "numbers do not win a battle".


The White Witch ascends onto her mound with her chariot...
Of course we did not have a chariot and the fact that we were standing upon the actual mound was reward enough. Just imagine...we were standing upon the same, and I repeat, the SAME mound that the Witch stood on. There is magic still on that mound, and I have taken some of it for myself... ...


Jadis was once a might queen of Charn, a land that she herself destroyed out of spite for her sister. Now she is the White Witch, and her minions are eve under her thumb.
Since there were only four of us that day, and I really wanted Merilyn (the lady playing the Witch) to be solely the Witch, the two of us us had to stand in for those ugly, winged creatures you can see above. In fact I wonder what they're actually called... ...


Another view of the Witch's mound.


The dwarves shoot arrows into the sky to kill the eagles and griffons.


General Otmin (the Witch's second in command) summons up the army to battle.
I actually did not intend on taking this photo, but since everyone was already in this position I decided to do so.





Peter and Orieus look across the battlefield. I remember how pleased and excited I was when I saw the result of this picture. It was actually the first time that Ben (our photographer) had taken shots like these and he proved to be a highly skilled photgrapher. Thank goodness for him since we did not have to waste time re-taking the same shots.


"For Narnia, and for Aslan!!!" - Peter
Indeed, as the two of us raised our swords I felt a sudden surge of courage and strength come upon me. I truly believe that I tapped into the magic of Narnia that day.


The fire of the phoenix barring the advance of the Witch's army.
As I took this picture I could almost see the fire being reignited. I could nearly see the shadows of the battle past and blur figures rushing across the plains. Had my imagination had any more power I would have caused a line of fire to appear along the grassy field that day and literally made my mark.


I really should have removed my transition glasses. This just ruins everything! I don't quite like this picture... ...
Peter turns back to his brother, Edmund standing atop the hill.


Gneral Otmin ascends the mound as the Witch's forerunner.
I had to play this role since I was the only one tall enough. Besides I had a black cloak that I could wrap around me to match the dark fur of the minotaur.


I think we had to try this shot out a good number of times. Our photographer, Ben was not too pleased with some of the shots and poor Calvin had to bend over countless times. I wonder how he must have felt. I will say that the view from atop the mound was splendid and I think Merilyn and I had the easy roles here.

This may be the strangest photo of the lot. As you can see the mountain range does not line up with the one in the movie. I am very sure I did not stand in the wrong position since I scouted every different angle and it was definitely that spot. Based on experience I think the most sensible thing would be to infer that there was soe editing done in the movie.


The Witch's army charges with full strength... ....and yes, our full strength for that day was only four. A witch, centaur, a warrior, and an old professor. Oh well... ...


Peter and Orieus gear up for the approaching army of the Witch. What thoughts could have been racing through their minds at that time, no one knows.
It took us some time, to be honest, to actually take this photo. As you can see we had to get the angle of the swords right, and of course we had to be standing in the proper positions. But like all other photos our efforts paid off.


View of Aslan's army as they prepare for battle.


I thought I make this the last picture since it is a good representation of my reality. There are many battles that I have fought, and more to come indefinitely. I will say that even though the enemy looks daunting and appears mighty and overwhelming, I will not give up; I fight! For I am not alone in this battle. I have my weapons, I have my friends, and most importantly I have my God - who comes to rescue me in my darkest hour as Aslan did for Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment